Become a Partner in Education
10-Step Checklist to Becoming a Partner In Education:
- Contact our Community Relations Department to get started.
- Designate a Partner In Education (PIE) contact person & a few people to serve on a Steering Committee.
- Meet with full PIE Steering Committee & Community Relations Specialist to discuss initial activities which include:
- organizing a get acquainted activity with your school partner
- developing a mission statement
- developing objectives
- conducting a needs assessment and a resource assessment
- Meet monthly with the full Steering Committee to plan activities and identify student achievement goals you will address.
- Appoint a Steering Committee member to serve as a recorder. This recorder will take monthly minutes and disseminate the minutes to school contact, business employees, and the PIE office. The recorder should also be responsible for maintaining records for the annual report. The report should contain the following:
- contact information of business partner and school staff completing report
- partnership mission to improve students' performance
- partnership school year goals
- a brief description of each activity
- the identification of achievement goals
- Appoint a steering committee member who will be responsible for relaying public relations information to the PIE office, local media, and school newspaper.
- Promote the Partners In Education program in your business. Some examples include requests for input, letters in paychecks, letters sent to homes, posters in office and hallways, bulletin board displays, etc.
- Coordinate employee volunteer release time, if possible. Arrange for all employees that agree to participate to attend an orientation session at the partner school. The building principal or staff member will conduct this training.
- Complete a Business Profile and Partnership Report Form and submit to the Community Relations Department.
- Plan a partnership kickoff event with the support of the Community Relations office to celebrate the formation of the partnership!
Specialist, Community Relations