My name is Jana Gilpin and I currently serve Columbia Public Schools as a Reading Recovery/Title I teacher at Alpha Hart Lewis Elementary. I graduated from New Franklin High School and worked in the private sector for several years before pursuing both my undergraduate and graduate degrees at Columbia College. I previously taught third grade for nine years in Bunceton, Missouri, before seeking an opportunity to teach elementary special education in Columbia. My only daughter, Kara, is teaching high school math at the Marian Baker School in Costa Rica. When I am not involved with school activities I enjoy spending time with family/friends, traveling, anything outdoors, and a good movie!
- Bachelor of Arts in Elementary Education (Minor: Psychology)
- Bachelor of Arts in Independent Studies (Emphasis: Biology)
- Masters of Education (Endorsement: Reading & Special Education)
- eMINTS Certification (Teaching with Technology in Elementary)
- CPR Certified, First Aid, CPI, and CMA
Teaching is an endeavor of love. I am dedicated to the goal of passing knowledge on to others in a way that initiates enthusiasm. My greatest hope is to leave students with a love for learning that follows them throughout their lives…