THE SUMMER IS OVER…
SCHOOL HAS BEGUN!!!!!!
1. Turn off the television at least 2 days a week. Parents and kids decide together which 2 days to turn it off.
2. Listen to your child. Have a family meeting for 1 hour 1 day at the same time each week. It is a time for parents to listen to their children. Find out about their friends, school, interests, etc. Studies have found fathers on average spend 7 minutes per day talking with their children and mothers spend on average 20 minutes per day talking with their children.
3. Go to the library. It is a time to check out books, but also a time for your child to see other people of all ages and races learning.
4. Every child in the house must have a daily or weekly chore. Having responsibility at home will make your child responsible at school.
5. Have an after school schedule for your child. Have a set bedtime each school evening. Did you know elementary children need 10 hours of sleep each night?
6. Have a conversation with your child. The child must speak in complete sentences and not answer with 1 or 2 words. This will help increase vocabulary, which will help with testing later in the year.