Middle School Technology Education Standards
Standard One: Creative Process
1. Demonstrates a systematic problem-solving approach.
2. Works as a cooperative team member.
3. Identifies a variety of information resources.
4. Confronts alternative solutions.
5. Recognizes efficient use of resources.
Standard Two: Use of Technology
1. Defines the term technology.
2. Gives examples of human limitations.
3. Provides examples which explain characteristics of technology.
4. Describes the universal system model.
5. Explains the effects from the use of a particular technology.
Standard Three: System Analysis
1. Identifies the components of a system.
2. Identifies the various resources a “simple” system uses to accomplish its desired result.
3. Determines how a “simple” system accomplishes its desired result.
4. Identifies the feedback components of a system and determines appropriate sensors and comparators.
5. Provides suggestions to improve a “simple” system
Standard Four: Connections
1. Uses appropriate knowledge and skills learned in other areas (math, science, other) to accomplish a specific task.
2. Produces a written report or model on a past technological innovation and its impact on present society.
3. Produces a written report or model demonstrating how technology impacts different cultures.
4. Understands how the environment influences technology.
Standard Five: Social Impact
1. Discusses continual growth of technology.
2. Explains how success in work effects the quality of life.
3. Identifies historical impacts of technology on society.
4. Describes how technology fulfills human needs.
5. Explains the advantages/disadvantages for the uses of a certain technology.
6. Exhibits adaptability of technological solutions.
7. Explains how technology affects economic conditions.
8. Explains how technology affects environmental factors.
Standard Six: Trends, Forecasting and Assessment
1. Understands a variety of ways to access information.
2. Analyzes information and develops usable data.
3. Presents a possible future solution, trend, or application of technology.
Standard Seven: Use of Technical Information
1. Explores various means of accessing information including traditional and electronic media.
2. Develops solutions to a problem, based on research.
3. Understands social, occupational, and environmental impacts
Standard Eight: Tools & Equipment
1. Identifies certain tools and equipment.
2. Describes how tools or equipment can extend human capabilities.
3. Demonstrates safe and proper use of tools and equipment.
4. Understands that proper care and maintenance is necessary for a safe work environment.
Standard Nine: Materials
1. Identifies types of resources.
2. Distinguishes appropriate characteristics and properties in utilizing resources and materials.
3. Understands and applies proper uses of materials.
4. Applies appropriate engineering and manufacturing processes
Standard Ten: Engineering
1. Understands the universal systems model.
2. Uses the creative design process to develop a simple engineering solution.
3. Distinguishes between acceptable and unacceptable engineering solutions.
4. Understands the utilization of the optimum designed product or service.
5. Produces a model of an engineered product.
6. Understands the impact of engineering on the environment.
7. Understands the limitations of design.
Standard Eleven: Career Development
1. Explores career opportunities.
2. Identifies employability skills.
3. Understands options for training or re-training