AEO: Achievement, Enrichment, and Opportunity
A Message from Dr. Peter StieplemanFrequently, I get asked these two questions:
Neither of these questions get at the core of what I think people are really asking me. What they're trying to discern is why do public schools exist? That's a reasonable question. This is what I believe: I believe that schools exist to allow access.
- "How do you go about leading reform?"
- "What do you do as the superintendent?"
I have framed this issue of access into three letters. Three vowels, actually, because like vowels, these three words serve as the core--they represent the WHY for everything we do.AchievementEnrichmentOpportunity
- Access to a great curriculum;
- Access to skilled teachers and a nurturing environment;
- Access to experiences beyond the core curriculum;
- Access to interest-based activities before and after school; and
- Access to school--we must be a system that eliminates barriers for children.
I encourage you to view the video linked to this page (the link shown at upper right--"AEO Video: Who Writes Your Story?"). I explain AEO and how AEO is a belief system that is more important today than ever before. We want all of our children to be able to access an excellent education. I'm committed to that.