West Middle School AVID
Advancement Via Individual Determination (AVID)
AVID is an elementary through postsecondary college readiness system designed to increase school-wide learning and performance for students.
AVID targets students in the academic middle-who have the desire to go to college and the willingness to work hard. These are students capable of completing rigorous curriculum, but who are falling short of their potential. Click here to view a brief video about the AVID College Readiness System.
The mission of AVID is to close the achievement gap by preparing all students for college readiness and success in a global society. Students will:
- Succeed in rigorous curriculum
- Enter mainstream activities of the school
- Increase enrollment in four-year colleges
- Become educated and responsible participants and leaders in a democratic society
The objectives of the AVID system in the Columbia Public School District are to:
- Raise the expectations of students in the academic middle who desire to go to college and are willing to work hard
- Enroll middle and high school students in rigorous courses
- Optimize students' chances for success in rigorous coursework by providing necessary instruction and a system of support
- Empower students with critical college preparatory skills
- Ensure that all students graduate high school college and career ready
The AVID curriculum is driven by the WICOR method, which stands for Writing, Inquiry, Collaboration, Organization, and Reading.
AVID is offered in all of the district's middle schools and the three comprehensive high schools an elective course, through an application and selection process. Students learn organizational and study skills, work on critical thinking and ask probing questions, receive academic help from peers and college tutors, and participate in enrichment and motivational activities that make college attainable. AVID students will visit college campuses several times each year to explore the different type of campuses and develop a sense of what they want from their own college experience.
Where is AVID?
AVID is growing every year! As of the 2013-2014 school year, AVID is implemented in more than 4,800 sites.
Total K-12 AVID schools 4,837
Total AVID for Higher Education campuses 41
Ms. Jacquie WardAVID Site CoordinatorAVID Elective TeacherSocial Studies TeacherDr. Katie TesoroAVID Elective TeacherFrench TeacherIf you have any questions about AVID at West Middle School, please contact:
Ms. Jacquie Ward firstname.lastname@example.org or (573) 214-3230