Welcome to Our OMS AVID Site!
AVID's mission is to close the achievement gap by preparing all students for college readiness and success in a global society.
- an acronym that stands for Advancement Via Individual Determination.
- an in-school academic support program for grades 7-12 that prepares students for college eligibility and success
- an elective class that meets during the regular school day for all students, but it targets those in the academic middle implemented both school-wide and district-wide.
Who is an AVID student?
Students in the academic middle, capable of completing a college preparatory path with support. Sometimes these students have yet to realize their full academic potential. During the identification process, a number of criteria are considered, including:
- Standardized Test Scores
- Desire and Determination
If selected for AVID, what are the student responsibilities?
- Take the AVID elective class each year.
- Maintain satisfactory citizenship and attendance in all classes.
- Maintain the AVID binder contents including, but not limited to, assignment sheets and Cornell notes.
- Complete all homework assignments and commit to a structured homework routine each night.
- Maintain a grade of 80% (or 2.5) or higher in all classes