The Missouri Course Access Program (MOCAP)
Columbia Public Schools makes every attempt to meet the curricular needs of all of its students by offering a wide range of course offerings and opportunities, both face-to-face and online. (See a list of the current CPS face-to-face course offerings in the CPS 2020-21 Registration Guide and a list of the online offerings on the CPS Online web page)
In cases where student need is not being met by these course offerings, the recently passed Senate Bill 603 (referred to as "MOCAP") attempts to address this gap. MOCAP was passed with the intent of:
- Expanding the range of courses and opportunities offered to students
- Offering courses for students when there are no qualified teachers to teach the course
- Allowing students to take a course not offered at the local school district
In brief, MO Senate Bill 603 states that:
Students who have been enrolled full time in a public or charter school for at least one semester immediately prior, may enroll part-time or full-time in the Missouri Course Access and Virtual School Program (MOCAP). Enrollment must be approved by Columbia Public Schools. A student with a documented medical or psychological condition that prevented the student from attending school during the previous semester shall be exempt from the requirement that a student is enrolled full-time in and attended a public school for at least one semester in order to enroll in Missouri Course Access and Virtual School Program courses.
Applying for MOCAP (See https://mocap.mo.gov/ for more information about MOCAP)
The enrollment periods for MOCAP enrollment for Columbia Public Schools are:
1st Semester = July 2, 2020-September 15, 2020 (Updated to reflect school opening date change)
2nd Semester = TBA
This deadline is the same as for adding a face-to-face course(s) to a student's schedule each semester.
If you feel that your or your child might benefit from this program, enrollment takes place the same time enrollment takes place for other CPS courses. Here is what you need to do:
1) Check on basic eligibility requirements (below):
--Is it too late to apply (see above for the enrollment period)?
--Is your student currently enrolled full-time in CPS?
--Was your child enrolled last semester (Fall/Spring) full time in a Missouri public or charter school?
--Does your child have a 504 or IEP? If your student has an IEP, the IEP team will need to meet to consider the request. Mr. Bones will initiate this process once he receives your request;
--Is your child receiving English Language Services? If your student is an English Language student, the CPS English Language department will have to approve of the request. Mr. Bones will initiate this process once he receives your request;
2) If you are requesting to take courses from either MOVA & MOCA, see below, email the required application/form to David Bones at email@example.com for processing;
3) For all other requests (i.e. requests for other than Missouri Virtual Academy/K12 or Missouri Connections Academy) complete this form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSf_q7md7Kj2-vG91mvh0i-s4onABEgQaGC4zpGN5Ecnb8oYgg/viewform?usp=sf_link
- If you are requesting to take a course from Grandview R-2/Missouri Virtual Academy/MOVA/K12 (all the same thing), you will need to have their form signed by David Bones, Online Program Coordinator, Aslin Building, 1818 West Worley, 573-214-3824, firstname.lastname@example.org;
- If you are requesting to enroll full-time at the Missouri Connections Academy (MOCA), you will need to have their form signed by David Bones, Online Program Coordinator, Aslin Building, 1818 West Worley, 573-214-3824, email@example.com;
Any request to take a MOCAP course that is denied by Columbia Public Schools can be appealed. Information about the appeals process will be sent to parents along with notification of the denial. For more information about the appeals process please contact Dr. Kristi Shinn, Director of Curriculum & Instruction, 573-214-3932, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Link to DESE's MOCAP Information Page: https://mocap.mo.gov/about.html