Educational Leave - Third Party Billing for Substitutes(Substitute Cost Paid by Another Agency)
Outside organizations may agree to pay for the cost of a substitute so that a staff member may attend a meeting, conference or workshop. This is referred to as a third party billing.Process to Bill Third Party for Substitute Costs
- Employee follows the regular Professional Leave Application process. (Note: PLAs for out of state travel will need to be approved by the Superintendent’s team before a substitute will be secured.)
- On the Professional Leave Application form, under Provide Funding Source, check Paid by an Outside Agency.
- The form should be signed by the applicant and their supervisor.
- In State PLAs can be sent to Shari Kraus for processing.
- Out of State PLAs need to go to the Office of School Improvement. They will then be sent to the Superintendent's team for approval.
- Attach Billing Information Form to the approved Professional Leave Application Form and send it to Shari Kraus, Aslin Building, Equity Department.
- The substitute request for the employee will be entered into the system by Shari Kraus.
- Once the substitute is requested, an email with the confirmation number will be sent to the teacher, building secretary and the principal.
- Shari Kraus in the Equity Department will invoice the third party for substitute expenses.
In order to bill DESE for the cost of substitutes, the following information is required:
- name of teacher who attended the meeting
- specific name of meeting
- date attending
- name of person hosting meeting
- name and address of person who should be billed for the cost of the substitute
DESE provides a “Substitute Pay for Meetings/Hotel Reimbursement” memo to each participant who attends an event for which they will reimburse the district for substitute costs. The memo contains the required billing information mentioned above.