Parent Rights under the IDEA
Procedural Safeguards: This document gives you an opportunity to understand your rights, the rights of your child, and the procedures for resolving differences.
Parents Bill of Rights: This document should be provided to you when your child is determined to be eligible for special education services, or when the initial Individualized Education Program (IEP) is developed.
Recording of Meetings: Can the educational decision maker (parent/guardian/18-year-old student) record school related meetings?
- No, except in certain circumstances. CPS Board Policy KKB does prohibits the recording of meetings unless the parent/guardian/18-year-old student requests an exception based on their own need to audio record. If the parent/guardian/18-year-old student can indicate need to record, to support their participation and understanding of the meeting, they may exercise their right to do so under Section 504 and/or the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA).
Board Policy - KKB: The Board of Education prohibits the use of audio, visual or other recording devices at meetings held pursuant to the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) or Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as well as other meetings among district employees and between district employees and parents/guardians. Exceptions to this prohibition will be made only in accordance with Board policy and law. Requests for such exceptions must be made within a reasonable period of time prior to the scheduled meetings. This prohibition does not apply to conversations held within view of district security cameras.
How does the parent/guardian/18-year-old request an exception to audio record a 504, IEP, or Special Education Evaluation Meeting?
- They can obtain the "Letter to Request to Audio Record 504, IEP & Special Education Evaluation Meetings" from the district website (link below) and/or by requesting the letter from the CPS Special Services office.
- To obtain letter from CPS website:
- To obtain the letter from special services office: Parent/Guardian/18-Year-Old Student Request to Audio Record IEP, 504 and Special Education Evaluation Meetings
- phone: 573-214-3459
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information related to the process to request an ADA accommodation to Audio Record a 504, IEP and Special Education Evaluation Meeting, please review the following link: Frequently Asked Questions Related to Audio Recording Meetings