Research: Criminal Background Checks - Updated 8/25/21
To ensure student safety, individuals who want to observe, volunteer, or work in our schools must submit to a background check. Before any research proposals which would necessitate non-CPS employees being in contact with students, these individuals must successfully pass the background check through the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services Family Care Safety Registry. Background checks MUST be processed through Columbia Public Schools. Research request decisions will not be released until background checks have cleared.
- Complete Worker Registration Form:
- Each researcher involved in a project must fill out the Family Care Safety Registry Worker Registration Form.
- Return form(s) to Columbia Public Schools, Equity Department, Attn. Shari Kraus, 1818 W. Worely Street, Columbia, MO 65203 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Researcher must complete the form, even if they have gone through a background check in the past.
- Complete ONLY these sections on the Worker Registration Form:
- Social Security Number
- Personal Information
- Contact Information
- All other necessary information has been entered on the form. Please do not change any of the other information currently entered on the form.
- Please submit all Worker Registration Forms for your project at the same time.
- Cost: A onetime fee of $15.25 per name ($14.00 registration fee plus $1.25 processing fee) for those who are not currently registered with the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services Family Care Safety Registry. If the applicant has already been registered, no fee will be charged for that person. If applicant is NOT registered with the DHSS Family Safety Registry, a fee of $15.25 will be charged for each unregistered person. Researchers will be invoiced for the cost of the background checks.
- Invoice: When submitting the completed background applications, please provide the following information so that you or your organization can be invoiced. (You can email the information to Shari Kraus at email@example.com, or provide the information if dropping off the registration form in person.)
- Name of researcher
- Name of research project
- Invoice contact (name of person to whom invoice should be directed)
- Invoice organization (name of the organization to be billed)
- Invoice address (street address, city, state, zip)
Please contact Shari Kraus at 573-214-3413 or firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Research request decisions will not be released until background applications have cleared.