AVID College Readiness System
College. Career. Life.
AVID (Advancement Via Individual Determination) is a nonprofit that changes lives by helping schools shift to a more equitable, student-centered approach. AVID—Advancement Via Individual Determination—fosters a safe and open culture, high expectations for teachers and students, and collaboration in all classrooms. From one classroom of 32 students to serving more than 2 million students today, AVID has made the dream of college a reality for countless individuals.
AVID’s mission is to close the opportunity gap by preparing all students for college readiness and success in a global society. This closely aligns with Columbia Public School’s mission to provide an excellent education for all our students by adhering to our organizational goals.
Goals of AVID’s College Readiness System
- Accelerate underachieving students who have potential to succeed in more rigorous courses.
- Teach academic and social skills not targeted in other classes.
- Provide intensive support with in-class tutors and a strong student-teacher relationship.
- Create a positive peer group for students.
- Develop a sense of hope and personal achievement through hard work and determination.
In 2013, Columbia Public Schools began their partnership with AVID Center. That year, all six of the district’s middle schools and the three comprehensive high schools began their journey in becoming an AVID Schoolwide building. Since that time, the District has expanded AVID into all middle school buildings and has added an AVID elementary building, Alpha Hart Lewis. Teachers from across the district, including those working at Columbia Area Career Center and the Center for Responsive Education have also been AVID trained.
To learn more about AVID in Columbia Public Schools, visit the district’s AVID Website: www.cpsk12.org/AVID