Title: Chief Communications Officer
1818 West Worley Street
Columbia, MO 65203
Phone: (573) 214-3960
Fax: (573) 214-3401
I have a degree in journalism from the University of Missouri with minors in English and political science. I loved my time at Mizzou, and the education and experience I gained through the journalism program have been invaluable.
I began my career as a news reporter covering everything from education to crime to local and state government. I later moved into the field of public relations. I spent nearly seven years at the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education, working in public relations, communications, administration, and accountability before joining Columbia Public Schools. I have been with Columbia Public Schools for 16 years. I love my job. It’s challenging, it’s chaotic, it’s different every day. It allows me to blend the only two things I ever wanted to be when I was little – a teacher and a reporter. It’s the best of both worlds to work in public relations in education. I still use all the skills I learned in journalism school, but I get to do it in an environment that embraces helping others work and learn how to be their best every day.
It’s one of the only fields where you can see the impact of your efforts blossom over time and take pride the success of others. From the perspective of a school communications professional, working in education is about developing and investing in an effective public relations program that promotes planned, ongoing, two-way communication between the school and its community. This is key to building an honest relationship between the school district and its stakeholders, resulting in better educational programs and experiences for all of our learners.
Community service and organizations:
- Columbia Rotary South
- Boone County Historical Society Endowment Trust
- City of Columbia Substance Abuse Advisory Commission
- Columbia Values Diversity Celebration Planning Committee
- Columbia Public Schools Foundation
- Countdown to Kickoff Campaign Volunteer with the Food Bank of Central and Northeast Missouri
- Heart of Missouri United Way Campaign Volunteer
- Missouri School Public Relations Association
- National School Public Relations Association
- Mid-Missouri PRSA
- Public Relations Society of America
- Member of Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Church