• CPS 150 Logo

     

    The 2022-23 school year includes the 150th anniversary of the founding of Columbia Public Schools. While our community and district have grown and changed considerably since 1873, our commitment to children, families and our community remains the same.


An image of the First Public School Building. The photo is of a brick school house building on yellowed paper.

History of the Columbia Public School District

  • 1974: HHS elects first female student body president HHS students elected Joan Lowenstein.
  • 1972: The first girls sport offered at HHS Female students were given the opportunity to compete in athletics in 1972 and the first girls volleyball team began playing in 1974.
  • 1972: TMP became a part of the Columbia Public School District Changes in school accreditation laws facilitated TMP becoming part of CPS. The principal at that time was Sam Wiggins. Mr. Clay Austin became principal of TMP starting the following year, a position he held through the 1995 - 1996 school year. In 1988 there was the addition of the primary classroom wing and the Media Center was added during the 1991 - 1992 school year.
  • 1966: HHS receives designation as an area vocational school In 1966, Hickman was designated as an area vocational school, and students from other schools without vocational programs began enrolling in classes at Hickman.
  • 1960: The Beginning of Two Mile Prairie On September 16, 1960 the two schools, Judy School and Murry School came together and formed the Two Mile Prairie PTA.