Multi-Tiered Systems of Support
A 3-Tiered Process provides effective instructional strategies for both academic and behavior systems is an affective framework for providing students with intervention. Academic supports are frequently referred to as Response to Intervention (RtI). Behavior systems are frequently referred to as Positive Behavior Intervention and Supports (PBIS)Implementation FeaturesPositive Behavioral Interventions and Supports (PBIS) is grounded in:
- Expectations for high quality, research-based instruction in general education classrooms.
- Universal, classroom-based screening to identify need for additional support.
- Collaborative, team-based approach to development, implementation, and evaluation of alternative interventions.
- Increasingly intense, multi-tiered application of an array of high-quality, evidence-based instruction matched to individual needs.
- Continuous monitoring of progress to determine impact of interventions.
- Expectations for parent involvement throughout the process.