School Bus Safety
Parents/guardians are responsible for the supervision of their children to, from, and while at school bus stops. Students should always use their assigned bus stop. Students should arrive at their assigned bus stop five to ten minutes prior to the scheduled stop time.
District school buses are considered extensions of the school environment. Any student whose conduct on district transportation is improper or jeopardizes the safety of other students may be suspended from district transportation services and may be disciplined in accordance with district policy. Uniform rules of conduct and disciplinary measures will be enforced. When a student does not exhibit proper conduct on a bus, the building principal shall be notified in writing by the school bus driver. Any offense committed by a student on district-provided transportation shall be punished in the same manner as if the offense had been committed at the student's assigned school. Students who become a serious disciplinary problem on school transportation will have their riding privileges suspended by the principal. In such cases, the parents/guardians of the children involved shall become responsible for the transportation of their children to and from school.
To assist us in our task of ensuring all of our children are transported in the safest environment possible, the district has established the rules of student conduct listed below. Please take a few moments to discuss these rules with your children:
- Obey the bus driver. Follow directions the first time they are given.
- Keep head, hands, feet, and objects to yourself and inside the bus. Keep the aisles clear.
- Remain seated in your assigned seat. (Back To Back, Seat To Seat)
- Do not eat, drink, litter, write on, or damage the bus in any way.
- Use respectful language. No loud talking or noises, no cursing or swearing.
Severe: Fighting, smoking, or carrying weapons.
The Transportation department wants to ensure a safe, enjoyable, and efficient ride to and from school for all students. In addition to the rules listed above, please remember a few additional tips for safe school bus riding:
- Leave home early enough to arrive at the bus stop on time.
- Wait for the bus in a safe place. Show respect for others' property.
- Use only your assigned bus stop.
- Never bring animals, glass, weapons, or explosive materials on the bus.
- Large objects such as hockey sticks, skateboards, ball bats, large band instruments, or other items that may cause a safety concern are prohibited from being transported on the school bus.