It is important for all parents/guardians to discuss the DANGER ZONES with their children. Please instruct your children to stay 10 feet away from where the bus stops in the morning and to step 10 feet away from the bus when exiting. If students must cross the street, they must always cross in front of the bus. Never cross behind the bus.Trips to and from the school bus stop:
Conduct at school bus loading zones and bus stops:
- Your family should plan the safest route to the bus stop.
- When available, cross streets at corners using the crosswalk. Look in all directions before crossing. Always obey traffic signals.
- Stand in a straight line or in a group facing traffic so you can see the bus approach the stop. Stand 10 feet away from where the bus will stop. Do not approach or rush to the bus until the driver opens the bus door.
- When loading at school, follow the directions of the bus driver and/or the teacher on bus duty.
- Never go under a bus to retrieve something you may have dropped. Tell the bus driver.
- If you are running late and miss your bus, never run after the bus in an attempt to catch it.
- If parents wait at the bus stop in their automobile, they should be careful not to park in the loading/unloading zone.
- Students should always respect the rights and property of residents at or near the bus stop.
- If you cross the street at the bus stop you must always cross in front of the school bus; never cross behind the bus. Always be cautious of the DANGER ZONES.
- Parents/guardians are responsible for the supervision of their children to, from, and while at school bus stops. Parents and neighbors should consider creating a neighborhood watch to help younger children get to and from bus stops safely.