The application window for the 2019-20 school year is 3/25/2019 to 4/11/2019. The public waitlists will be available in mid-May.Application for Benton and Ridgeway
- All elementary age students who are residents of the Columbia School District are eligible to attend Benton and Ridgeway elementary schools.
- Students who live one mile or more from school are provided bus transportation.
- Because of the nature of the instructional program at the schools, parents should visit the school for orientation before applying.
- Students will need to have enrolled in Columbia Public Schools prior to applying online.
- Parents requesting that their child(ren) attend one of these schools must complete an online application. Upon completion of the online application, parents/guardians will receive an email receipt verifying that their application has been received. The email receipt will contain a confirmation code used during the lottery process.
- Parents can choose only one school per online application. If you believe your child would benefit from more than one of the schools, you must make an appointment with the principal of the other school(s) to describe how your child's interests can be met by that school and to complete a paper application for your second choice.
Kindergarten Enrollment for the 2019-20 School Year
- In order to apply for the lottery, parents must have their child's school identification number. This number is assigned when your child is registered with the Columbia Public Schools through their attendance area school. Please click here for a list of things you’ll need before applying.
- The Columbia Public School Help Desk will be prepared to provide application support, including the student's school identification number. The Help Desk can be reached at (573) 214-3333.
- The online application does not become available until March 25, 2019. A random drawing will be held mid-April to fill the available spaces. Notification emails will be sent to parents soon afterward (typically within two weeks). A student is considered enrolled at the lottery school only after the parent has accepted the placement offer.
- If a child has been placed on a waiting list, parents will be able to review their child's status on the lottery Web site under the waiting list tab. If a placement becomes available, principals from the lottery schools will notify parents personally.
- Families must apply through the lottery process for each school age child first through fifth grade.
- When a student is selected in the lottery and accepts enrollment, younger siblings will be automatically accepted into the lottery school as they reach kindergarten age.
Enrollment Information for Students Entering Grades K-5
- Benton STEM Elementary School Waiting List Policy
Any student, entering grades K-5, may apply for the Benton STEM Elementary lottery during the online enrollment period. Students entering kindergarten who are randomly selected during the annual spring drawing will be accepted for placement based upon positions available for the upcoming school year. All remaining kindergarten through fifth grade students are placed upon a waiting list and will be placed as space becomes available. Students are put on the waiting list for the current year only and may re-apply each year. Inquiries may be directed to the school office. Paper applications are required after the lottery waitlist is created. Please contact the school office for a paper application. Applications submitted after the online lottery period is closed are added to the end of this list in the order they are received.
- Ridgeway Elementary School Waiting List Policy
Any student, entering grades K-5, may apply online for Ridgeway Elementary School during the online enrollment period. Students entering kindergarten who are randomly selected during the spring drawing will be accepted for placement based on positions available for the upcoming school year. All remaining kindergarten through fifth grade students will be placed on a waiting list and contacted as space becomes available. Students will remain on the waiting list from year to year and do not need to reapply. After the lottery waitlist is created, students may apply by completing a paper application. Please contact the school office for a paper application. Applications submitted after the lottery period is closed are added to the end of the existing waiting list in the order they are received.
Locust Street Expressive Arts Elementary School not participating in 2019-2020 LotteryFor the 2019-2020 school year, Locust Street Expressive Arts Elementary School will not be participating in the Lottery, nor accepting new Lottery students.
An online waiting list will be maintained for those students who are not selected because of insufficient space. Available spaces will be filled from this list. Siblings are not given priority after the kindergarten year.
Lottery students transferring out of Benton or Ridgeway will go to the end of the waiting list if a return is requested. Readmission will be permitted for families on sabbatical or for temporary requests for medical reasons. Attendance area students who move out of the CPS/Benton attendance area will need to apply for and participate in the Lottery for the next school year.If you have any questions about the programs or the lottery process, you may contact:Benton Elementary: (573) 214-3610
Ridgeway Elementary: (573) 214-3550