Established in 2002, with the purpose to increase the number of historically under-represented students in Columbia Public Schools' most rigorous course work, honors and advanced placement courses. This program is supported by our Partner in Education, Shelter Insurance Companies.
The Multicultural Achievement Committee (MAC) program is a holistic collaborative, educational support function of Columbia Public Schools. The MAC program is designed to provide students with the necessary skills and support they need to achieve success academically, emotionally and socially.
The purpose of the MAC Program is to increase the number of historically under-represented students in Columbia Public School’s most rigorous coursework, honors and advanced placement courses. The program’s goal is to ensure college and career readiness for students from cradle to career.
MAC Scholars offers a variety of initiatives and programs such as:
- Historically Black College and University Tour (HBCU): MAC Scholar students who are college-bound may apply to attend the HBCU tours. The tour provides students the opportunity to visit multiple historically black college campuses and learn about their culture and legacy, while giving a glimpse of the college experience.
- Men of Color, Honor and Ambition (M.O.C.H.A) and Women of Color, Honor and Ambition (W.O.C.H.A.): Columbia Public Schools, in partnership with the University of Missouri Division of Inclusion, Diversity and Equity, offers this one-year initiative to male (M.O.C.H.A.) and female (W.O.C.H.A) high school students entering the tenth grade.
- STEP IT UP (Student Training and Education in IT): Columbia Public Schools, in partnership with the University of Missouri School of Medicine, offers this education and training opportunity designed to provide high school students with on-the-job IT training and education in a real-world setting.
- MAC Scholars Student Conference: This exciting conference includes keynote and guest speakers, as well as the Brother to Brother and Sister to Sister conversations.
- MAC Programs for K-5:
- Summer Expeditions (Rising 5th Graders)
- Mini MAC Scholars (K-5)
MAC Mini-Conference (K-5)
Partner in Education
MAC Scholars is proud of our partnership with Shelter Insurance.Learn more
Annelle B. Whitt, JDDistrict CoordinatorMAC Program
Krista EdwardsMAC Consultant
Sue Ellersieck, SecretaryMAC Program