AVID Mission Statement
AVID's mission is to close the opportunity gap by preparing all students for college readiness and success in a global society.
Advancement Via Individual Determination
- an in-school academic support system for grades 7-12 that prepares students for college eligibility and success
- an elective class that meets during the regular school day
- for all students, but it targets those in the academic middle
- implemented both school-wide and district-wide
Who is an AVID student?
Students in the academic middle, capable of completing a college preparatory path with support. Sometimes these students have yet to realize their full academic potential. During the identification process, a number of criteria are considered, including:
- Standardized Test Scores
- Desire and Determination
If selected for the AVID elective class, what are the student responsibilities?
- Take the AVID Elective class each year
- Maintain a satisfactory citizenship and attendance in all classes
- Maintain the AVID Binder contents including, but not limited to, assignment sheets/agenda, Focus Notes
- Complete all classwork and homework assignments and commit to a structured homework routine each night
- Maintain a grade of 80% ( 2.5 GPA) or higher in all classes
AVID Site Coordinator
Dr. Victoria Pine
If you have any questions about AVID at John Warner MS,
please contact me:
email@example.com / 573-214-3890, ext 22407