AVID at RBHS!
AVID is NOT:
- an acronym that stands for Advancement Via Individual Determination.
- an in-school academic support program for grades 7-12 that prepares students for college eligibility and success
- an elective class that meets during the regular school day
- for all students, but it targets those in the academic middle
- implemented both school-wide and district-wide
What is AVID's mission? To close the opportunity gap by preparing all students for college and career readiness and success in a global society.
- a remedial program
- a study hall
Who is an AVID student? Students are in the academic middle, capable of completing a college preparatory path with support. These students often do not realize their full potential academically. In the identification process, several criteria are considered, including:
While we consider other criteria for acceptance into the program, no single criterion will necessarily eliminate a student from consideration. AVID should reflect the demographics of the school. Based on the above criteria, students participating in special education, EEE, and ELL will also be considered for AVID. Currently, several students from these groups are successfully participating in AVID at Rock Bridge.
- Standardized Test Scores
- Desire and Determination
If selected for AVID, what are the student's responsibilities?
- enroll in AVID elective class each year
- enroll in one or more AP, Honors classes, or World Language class
- maintain satisfactory citizenship and attendance in all classes
- Maintain the AVID binder
What does the AVID curriculum contain?
- Writing as a learning tool
- Writing as a communication tool
- Writing as a record of your thinking
- Asking critical questions
- engaging in thinking, learning, and discussion
- teamwork with shared responsibility
- sharing of ideas, information, and opinions
- Formal and informal discussion
- Managing materials
- Learning methodical study habits
- Planning and prioritizing school, work, and social tasks
- Engaged in mental preparation and goal-setting
- Strategically and intentionally taking responsibility for one's learning
- Strategically gaining understanding and knowledge from print and other media
- Purpose-driven and interactive
- Class sizes
- School enrollment
- Cost of attendance
- Degree programs available
- Acceptance requirements
- College entry skills
- test-taking strategies (ASPIRE, ACT, SAT)
- application process
- essay writing
- What do I like to do?
- What am I good at?
- What career would I like to explore?
RBHS AVID Staff
Rock Bridge High School