AVID Advancement Via Individual Determination: A College & Career Readiness System
Advancement via Individual Determination (AVID)
AVID is an elementary through postsecondary college readiness system designed to increase school-wide learning and performance for students.
The AVID elective focuses on students in the academic middle-who have the desire to go to college and the willingness to work hard. These are students capable of completing rigorous curriculum, but need support to achieve success. Click here to view a brief video about the AVID College Readiness System.
The mission of AVID is to close the achievement gap by preparing all students for college readiness and success in a global society. Students will:
- Succeed in rigorous curriculum
- Enter mainstream activities of the school
- Increase enrollment in four-year colleges
- Become educated and responsible participants and leaders in a democratic society
The objectives of the AVID system in the Columbia Public School District are to:
- Raise the expectations of students in the academic middle who desire to go to college and are willing to work hard
- Enroll middle and high school students in rigorous courses
- Optimize students' chances for success in rigorous coursework by providing necessary instruction and a system of support
- Empower students with critical college preparatory skills
- Ensure that all students graduate high school college and career ready
The AVID curriculum is driven by the WICOR method, which stands for Writing, Inquiry, Collaboration, Organization, and Reading.
AVID is offered in all of the district's middle schools and the three comprehensive high schools an elective course, through an application and selection process. Students learn organizational and study skills, work on critical thinking and ask probing questions, receive academic help from peers and college tutors, and participate in enrichment and motivational activities that make college attainable. AVID students will visit college campuses several times each year to explore the different type of campuses and develop a sense of what they want from their own college experience.
Where is AVID?
AVID is growing every year! As of the 2016-2017 school year, there are more than 6,200 AVID secondary, elementary, and higher education implementations throughout the country.
Number of AVID Implementations by Division