Parents As Teachers
Parents as Teachers is a home-school-community partnership that supports parents in their role as their child's first and most influential teachers. What began with four pilot sites in 1981 was implemented statewide with the passage of the Early Childhood Development Act of 1984. This bill mandated that every school district provide parent education and screening services to families with children ages birth to five.In 2016 -2017:
- 995 families and 1,395 children received parent education services through home visits
- Over 1,300 children were screened in overall development, language, hearing, health, and vision.
- 7,232 home visits were made.
- Some key results from our 2017 Parent Satisfaction Survey...
- Over 97% of parents reported they are very satisfied with PAT and would recommend it to a friend.
- Over 82% of parents reported that personal home visits increased their use of positive discipline.
- Over 92% of parents reported that their parent educator helped them understand the importance of books and reading with their child.