First Day Information
Posted by Christine Spurling on 9/5/2020
I hope this message finds you well. On Tuesday, September 8 at 7:30 AM we’ll start a new school year at Gentry Middle School. Students will begin their academic journey this year online. We realize learning will look different but teachers at Gentry are still committed to providing the best education possible for your child. We expect there will be issues getting started. Please know we will do everything we can to assist you. Our Gentry family is looking forward to a great school year!
- Schedules are ready but we’re still making changes. We realize there could be a lot of mistakes with schedules please be patient.
- Below is a short video on how to read your schedule:
- If your student is on team 6B and in the EEE program or in Alt Skills, their RTI and Advisory/PE times (Advisory is when EEE and Alt Skills takes place) will follow the 6A times for those classes. Everything else will match with their team and their times.
- We do have a A/B schedule and on September 8, will begin on a B day.
- If there is a problem with your schedule please let us know. Below is the contact info for our Counselors. Keep in mind we were unable to fulfill all elective requests. Some changes may take a couple days.
A-HI Jeanine Atwell - email@example.com
HO-R Abi Bax - firstname.lastname@example.org
S-Z Michael Onwalata - email@example.com
Enrollment - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bell Schedule - I’ve attached a bell schedule to this email so students know when class starts and ends. You can also find it on our website.
- Advisory - Advisory teachers will be calling you to introduce themselves to you and your child and see if you have any questions.
- RTI - New change to RTI. This course will be pass/fail. We will provide more information in the coming weeks.
- What to do to prepare for Tuesday:
- Make sure your child gets a good night’s sleep
- Review schedule
- iPad is charged and updated
- Zoom is downloaded
- At 7:30 get on Schoology and open your first class and go to materials and open the folder 0 Week and see instructions
- Schoology - In Schoology for every class under Materials you’ll see a folder called 0 Week. In this folder you’ll see the course agenda for September 8-11.
- Learning for the first week - For the first week, courses will focus on orientation and preparing students for online learning. RTI, Advisory, and Core classes will also be presenting many lessons covering technology. We hope to ease students into their courses so during the week of September 14 we can begin more rigorous work. Don’t forget Wednesday is not a normal day. Teachers will assign work and students can contact teachers during their office hours from 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM.
- What happens if we have problems with technology on Tuesday?
- Material Pick Up (North Circle/Bus Drop Off) - The district is requiring supplies for certain classes. This includes students enrolled in the virtual school and students who are in-seat but are now online. Teachers should also be communicating with you about supplies.
September 8-10 (9:00 AM -12:00 PM and 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM)
September 8th - 6th Grade (If you have a sibling in an upper grade you can pick up their materials as well)
September 9th - 7th and 8th Grade
September 10th - Students/Families unable to attend the prior days
If you have the following classes to begin the school year please come by:
- Math (6th and 7th Grade)
- Reading Workshop
- All 6th Graders (Planners)
- Is attendance taken? - Attendance is not taken but teachers will let our administration team know if a student is chronically not engaged in a class. The office will be calling families to discuss attendance issues.
- If a student has to miss class we would like the student or parents to contact the teacher and let them know.
- Students need to make up any work they miss.
- Discipline Issues - If students are being inappropriate during class, administration will be in touch with families.
Mr. Josh Johnson